Saturday, January 21, 2006

The other Elgin

Well, one of them, the big one in Illinois. With the watches. I had noticed earlier that their newspaper is called the Courier and when I was searching for details on the day of the fire I noticed that they, too, had a lumber yard fire. Now they have noted our fire on their blog. So this is a bit of a doppelganger entry.

Downtown Elgin: Fire Destroys Elgin Lumber Company in Elgin, Texas

On the subject of the fire, we looked around in the depot for a picture of the Elgin Lumber Yard, which we didn't have in our 3,000+ Photograph Collection. Francis finally found one in a 1950s EHS yearbook. I still don't know much about the history of this business and would appreciate any pointers. I'll put the picture up when I go to the depot tomorrow. Posted by Picasa

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home